Saturday, October 27, 2007

It's the wrong thing to do...




I just returned from meetings with several architects, construction firms and green experts. If you promote sustainability don't be surprised if you're asked; "what do you drive?" I was. I flunked.

That does not discount efforts to improve or develop green products and services. It is, however, a reality check. I have to make sure I know and acknowledge a connection (or in most cases a disconnection) between selling green and living green? Now that green is "in" the true believers will be checking closely to see if we walk our talk.

A second reality check is understanding that green is not a manufactured solution. It is and will be a mindshift, a change of values and for many a change of lifestyle. Results become the by-product. I would personally rather read the books and become an expert but I know that's just not going to fly if I'm going to be part of a mindshift to improve the way we deliver buildings.

I reached a personal tipping point at this event and listening to Ray Anderson. So, my first step is to begin a dailogue with my family and measure our impact on this planet. Right now I have no clue how much energy and water we consume. Or, how much CO2 and solid waste we produce. Our family will probably begin to take a closer look at what we buy and who we buy it from and start the slow process of understanding and reconnecting to the impact of our actions. It sounds like common sense but obviously its not, anymore. I like Ray Anderson's story because it took him time to reach a high level of conviction. I'm not sure where this will lead our family.

I've thought about green and the mission of mindshift too. Green and good design are certainly goals. Because our efforts embrace a broader agenda with diverse disciplines I think we have better means for achieving sustainability and enabling others to do so too.

mindshift embraces sustainability as integral to our mission. In the next few blogs we'll see what others are doing and how they are dealing with the obvious challenges of managing the romance of green with the reality of getting there.

I like what one of the principal mindshift members shared. "To my mind mindshift presents the opportunity to provide a holistic, balanced and wildly efficient approach to construction, which will have many benefits, including more “green” buildings – which in themselves provide unique value to the owners. This is the story I tell."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"What do you drive" isn't exactly a good lifestyle question... You staed in the post it is about lifestyle, and tyhis is true. If you live in an urban ernvironment and/or telecommute to work, that lifestyle has drastically less impact than buying a hybrid and commuting from 20 miles away...