Thursday, January 25, 2007

Mindshifting through the world of a Hacker


Nathan, my 14 year old, is a Digital Native. He is completely comfortable in the new world. For example, he has shown me how he systematical hunts for “glitches” in his video games and exploits these to gain an upper hand over his competition. He’s hacking the game.

Last week he showed me a little shim he devised from a Coke can that can open a Master Lock in about 2 seconds. He’s hacking the lock.

Last year Nathan walked into my office and picked up my older generation iPod. He said; “Hey dad, I get your iPod to show videos.” My first instinct and response was; “Gee, I don’t think I want you to do that.” Nathan shrugged and said – okay. He wanted to hack my iPod.

So – what’s the point, the bigger picture? My mindset is geared to optomize a process, product, solution etc. His mindset is geared to deconstruct and repurpose what he gets his hands on.

We need a mindshift to embrace innovation and not go down the path of least resistance and try to optomize current models. We need a hacker's mind.

The epic begins by hacking current models discovering their glitches and the hidden patterns for the next big thing.

No comments: