Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What would your farewell speech be?


For most a farewell speech is simply academic, not for Dr. Randy Pausch. What kind of mindshift would it take if we were to consider our legacy?

A better planet, kids who make a positive contribution to the world, improving the industry you work and serve or some grander vision?

A friend and colleague sent this video to me this evening. Was today a marker in history for my legacy? I wrestled with my daughter to finish her algebra homework, I picked up my oldest son at youth group where we played a game of ping-pong. He won by one point in an incredible finish. My youngest son made meatballs and I told him how incredible they were (and they were). I worked the day on presentations for some upcoming trade conferences and felt like I had a few breakthroughs to clarify the concepts we want to share as mindshift. I complemented my daughter's new larger (not huge) ear ring just before bedtime. At bedtime we read together and prayed and said; "I love you." I ended the day preparing for tomorrow and achieving an empty email in-box for the 47th day in a row (an inside story). What kind of legacy will emerge from this kind of meandering?

I heard a wonderful speaker compare farming to life. He said that you will harvest exactly what you plant. You will harvest long after you plant and you will harvest a significantly larger quantity than you plant.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what kind of harvest will emerge. I'm inspired listening to Dr. Pausch and the advice he has to pass along. He is not only an accomplished professional but sounds like a great dad and husband. But even more meaningful is how he has framed his final word to all of us.

Happy mindshifting!

1 comment:

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Rex, terrific post, as usual. I wish I had more time to respond in detail to all your posts. I'm determined - like many of us - to cut back on the travel and spend more time at home - and more time in correspondence - which this video inspires me to do.

Best,
John