Tuesday, January 8, 2008

a mindshift to Bit Literacy for 2008

You and I were trained in a print and broadcast world. Those are our native languages. We live in a digital world and many of us feel like we're drowning to bits. Before I read Bit Literacy I had months of emails stored in my in-box, multiple folders and dreaded sifting through the pile of bits to find what I was looking for. It was like looking for a bit in a haystack.

A November issue of the Wall Street Journal gave this wonderful assessment.

Last year, the average corporate email user received 126 messages a day, up 55% from 2003, according to the Radicati Group, a Palo Alto market research firm. By 2009, workers are expecting to spend 41% of their time just managing emails.


Ask yourself the follow questions:
  • How many emails do you have in your in-box?
  • Can you find any email (or file), anytime in the snap of a finger?
  • Do you end up reading the same emails over again when you are hunting for the one you want?
  • How many weeks or months of emails do you keep in your in-box?
Do you use your in-box as a:
  • Todo list?
  • Filing system?
  • Calendar (keeping dates of future events just in case)?
  • Bookmarks (emails that reference web addresses, passwords etc.)?
  • Address book (messages containing contact info for future follow up)?
Would you like to have an empty in-box at the end of the day, locate any file immediately or a simple means to manage Todos?

Here is my testimonial: "After reading Chapter 4 I was able to make the mindshift. I now have an empty in-box at the end of every day (pwnd n00b) and now have a system to find any document I need in the snap of a finger." If I look at myself in just the right light I think I've even shed a few bits.

Bit Literacy is not the deepest and most thought provoking book you'll ever read - but it has been the most useful book of 2007.

These two chapters were worth the price of the book:

Chapter 4 - Managing Incoming E-mail
Chapter 5 - Managing Todos

Here's to an empty In-Box through 2008!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Perhaps because I have not yet read this intriguing book, I still think an empty in-box at the end of each day sounds naive and idealistic, but I'm willing to try. Reducing the proportion of my time spent on emails has absolutely no "downside" that I can think of.
Jay L. Brand

Rex Miller said...

I know it sounds too good to be true. I get over 100 emails every day. Since I read the book I've had an empty inbox at the end of every day for the last three weeks.