Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chopin and the Recession Impulse Theory

The video for this blog is a delightful insight into classical music but far more. The message I heard, and I think you will too, is a real mindshift.

If you listen closely I think you'll find a key to navigating the recession with grace and vision. Its not what you think. I'm not suggesting that you change your listening habits and become a classical music buff. I'm certainly not making the shift from Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

The message behind the message is being able to hold down your impulses to play through your recession melody using a single buttocks. You'll need to watch to understand.

I'll see you on the other side of the video.



Now you know what a single buttocks performance is all about. The challenge with a recession is that we tend to play it note by note. We're missing the big picture. We miss the melody and therefore the drama of the song (and story). We labor but we are so focused on the execution of each decision that there is no link or unifying narrative to make any of it fruitful or meaningful.

Recession rookies behave like this. Managers who are afraid behave like this. Sometimes we all behave like this.

This recession is a song. It has common themes and if you listen it will telegraph where it is going. Just like this Chopin piece - the tension builds, it subsides, it looks like it is moving toward a conclusion only to go back into several stanzas of indecision.

I was with someone today and comparing notes about past recessions. He said, "I know where this is headed. Several weaker companies will get weeded out. I'll have to get back to some basics, watch my spending and raise my game and in a year or so I'll be in a stronger position."

What song would you pick to describe how this recession feels? The songs we pick and associate to specific seasons and times really doe make a difference in how we perceive those seasons and times.

Don't let the media pick the song you play in your head about this recession. Pick your own. Don't focus too much on each day or week but try to see the bigger picture. Combine your one buttock approach with a vision for where you would like to be when this particular melody is over.

Happy mindshifting!

No comments: